Sunday, April 14, 2013

Sandstorm aftermath

I've realized lately that my cleaning style seems to be inspired by the children's book, If You Give a Mouse a Cookie. For example, what started out an hour ago as the innocent thought of throwing in just one load of laundry turned into an hour of sweeping and mopping floors I never even walk on. Here are the events that conspired this week to make this late night cleaning binge seem so necessary at 10 pm this evening:

1) we had the BIGGEST sandstorm we have seen yet just last week. Unfortunately, sand doesn't seem easily captured on camera, but maybe I will go ahead and post some of our attempts to film and photograph the chaos. As a result though, literal PILES of sand blew under our doors (they are not very well sealed and that is now on the official honey-do list), through window cracks, and just got tracked in on shoes and people. Seriously, I spent enough time outside to get to and from my car at the grocery store and I have been trying to get sand out of my ears all week!

2) A power outage a few days ago caused some damage to some of our breakers and they were in need of replacement. We had power in about 2/3 of the house: office (internet, A/C, treadmill = all good!), kitchen (lights, refrigerator = all good), and master bedroom (A/C and a fan so we can sleep  = all good).

Somehow though, the en suite master bathroom did not get power back, so that meant my washing machine was out of commission. No big deal. I always have intentions of keeping up with laundry, but honestly, it builds up until someone is out of an essential article of clothing. So tonight, our repariman came and we got power back in the rest of the house! yay! which prompted my thought, "Hey, I'll just throw in a quick load of laundry before bed."

Then... I realized I would need to hang the laundry to dry,

which is when I realized that the dust I had been tolerating on my feet for several days was likely to end up on my wet, freshly laundered sheets if I didn't sweep.

So I swept.

Then I remembered that because the dust covering everything is so fine, the floor never feels clean to my feet until it has been mopped.

So I pulled out the bucket and mop.

Then it occurred to me that the stairwell to the roof had NEVER been mopped in the time I have lived here and probably was a great source of more dust getting tracked through the house (note: these stairs are only used when we need to access the air compressors on the roof, so very rarely, but with recent events, the repairmen have been traipsing up and down, spreading more dust through the other parts of the house).

And so, I swept and mopped the stairwell I have used all of 3 times since we moved in 8 months ago.

For a minute I worried the floors still be wet when my laundry was done, but then I remembered that the daytime temperature today was 99 F with 0% humidity, and I found my floors dry before I had dumped out my mop bucket :).

In short, I have cleaner floors and clean set of sheets drying safely over the clean floors. But maybe next time I should start before 10 pm. :)

2 comments:

  1. Pictures please :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi sweetie
    I just knew about this blog of yours which is a good idea for me to keep up with what's been going on in your adventure
    about the dust
    to save you a weeks of sweeping you can only put wet towels on under the doors that opens to the roof for example and front door
    and on the windows
    that will save you time and make you clean your floor once a month
    hope this helps
    Hanan

    ReplyDelete