Thursday, October 17, 2013

Arabian beauty treatments

I have shared some henna on this blog before (click here to see), but it was the black, Sudanese style. Last week in celebration of the Eid holiday, I "went local" and found a salon to do the local style henna. Honestly, I couldn't have been more pleased. Here are some pictures I managed to get of the process and the end results.


My technician started with my feet. I simply said I wanted a design from my toe, across my foot to my ankle. She took a tube of henna (henna paste?) and free-handed this feathered design in a matter of minutes. Amazing.

As you can see, it comes out looking like a thick mud-paste. Some people experience a slight burning sensation as the mixture dries and dyes your skin. I didn't have a problem until the last few minutes and even then it wasn't bad. It might have been more an itching sensation from having mud dry on my feet!


Then she began working on my hands. Because of the intricate detail, the hands took at least as long as the feet. Many women will also have the bottoms of their feet and the insides of their hands done as well. I was happy to limit it to the tops of my hands and feet.


I found the process relaxing and refreshing because I went with a friend and we just talked for the next 45 minutes or so as the henna dried. Once it was dry, the technician returned and scraped off the dry pieces with a phone card! Initially, the henna left on your skin looks quite orange, but I was assured it would darken over the next couple of days.


When I got home, I washed my hands and feet to get the rest of the dried pieces off. Here is the result just a short time after leaving the salon.



And here it is a few days later! It definitely darkened and took the beautiful red-brown color that generally comes to mind when one thinks of henna.





Best of all, I have gotten TONS of compliments from local ladies who have asked where I had this done. Apparently we are on the same page thinking this design is elegant, feminine, and beautiful.

p.s. I have discovered I like the feet a lot in peep toe pumps!

No comments:

Post a Comment