Sunday, November 10, 2013

Kitchen Adventures

One thing I didn't anticipate about ex-pat life is the number of things I would learn to make for myself instead of buying the pre-made version. Salsa, pico de gallo, pie crust, donuts, tortillas, caramel for apples and peppermint mochas to name a few. Why do I make these things from scratch? Because they are healthier than store bought versions chalked-full of preservatives? No, truthfully, because I either I cannot find them in our stores, or they are incredibly expensive as imported items (i.e. 10 dollars for 6 tortillas).

It is pretty exciting to learn to do new things, and I have had some great successes (even if a few things have flopped). Live and learn!


Caramel dipping sauce (this one was a success!)

Tortillas - they were pretty good, but I will try a different recipe next time.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment