Thursday, May 16, 2013

Birthday in Dubai!

This week we celebrated my 25th birthday! My sweet husband accompanied me to a beautiful performance of Swan Lake by the Royal Moscow Ballet. Given my dance background, I am quite partial to the Russian style, so I was pretty thrilled they came so close to us the weekend before my birthday. How could we miss that?!

To make it even better, I was on the hunt for something to wear and lamenting the fact that I left my "dress-up" clothes in a closet on another continent, and also that I am that far from the sisters and roomates I have borrowed from regularly over the past 25 years. Then I thought I might be able to find a friend here from whom to borrow something appropriate. It seemed like longshot since there are few Westerners in our town, no one has much opportunity to wear something like this, so who would even make space in their suitcase for it? And I wasn't sure anyone else would be my size. I went to ask the first group of ladies I thought of and for some reason, one of them had a long gown, in my size with her, just sitting under her chair! She passed it to me and said, "here you go! Have a great birthday!" We decided it was one of the quickest cases of "ask and you will receive" we had witnessed in awhile! Of course I tried it on right away when I got home, and it fit pretty perfectly. I was pretty thrilled.

 
With some of the company members before the show
 
 
 
And after the show we headed down the street to check out the Dubai Mall and grab dinner. Check out some of the gorgeous architecture!
 
 
 
Beautiful fountain in the Dubai Mall
 
 
Camel Statue!
 


Recognize any of these names? 

The local pronunciation of the Arabic script here would be "Jess" or "Yes"
 
"Coach"

"Jimmy Choo"
 
This one is harder out of context - "Banana Republic"

4 floors of high-end retail and restaurants


 
The Dubai Mall is also home to the Dubai Aquarium and the famous Dancing Fountains
 



 
The fountains are situated between some of the world's tallest buildings!
 


We had a great time being tourists in Dubai and look forward to exploring more there in the future!


 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment